Our monthly organised litter picks are well supported and popular with our residents. Some residents have expressed the opinion that it’s Lewisham Council’s job to keep the streets clean as we all pay for this service through our taxes. I always politely agree and never take offence by these comments considering the amount of time we spend litter picking outside their homes. If everybody did the right thing by disposing of their waste responsibly, we wouldn’t have the problems of littering and fly-tipping and I could hang up my litter picker for good.
The problems are of our own making:
- Single use plastics, why manufacture something that does serious harm in the environment?
- Not supporting individuals and families with predictable issues ie insufficient bins
- Not clamping down on dishonest traders and individuals who repeatedly fly tip
- No national campaign against dumping and pointless littering
- No local recycling facilities this side of the borough or reciprocal use of bordering boroughs’ recycling centres
- Not enough is taught in schools to encourage better eco friendly practices.
Our next Ravensbourne Residents Association litter pick is on Sunday 31st July. We have chosen a Sunday as not everyone can do Saturdays. We shall be meeting at 10.30am for 1 hour at the top of Thornsbeach Road in the car park by the Forster Park entrance. Depending on support we will cover local roads and the park if possible. Litter picking equipment supplied but you must bring your own protective gloves.
Forster Park Centenary & Sensory Garden Opening
These are some of the photographs taken during the opening of the community garden in Forster Park on Friday 22 July. The garden took over a year to build and will be maintained by community volunteers. If you want to help with weeding, watering and general garden maintenance come along any Friday and meet the sensory garden team from 10:00 until 12:30.
See you at the next litter pick.
When the pavement is full please use the bin